The key to successful online marketing is to understand the behavior of your users. This includes knowing what they want and what assets on your website they are finding useful.
Often times we chase either after algorithms, the latest and most advanced techniques, what we think is important to our web visitors or what is important to us.
Today, we are going to step down from our rooftop and focus on our users.
- What do they really want?
- Which part of our website is important to them?
- What can we learn from those things that matters to them
- How can we ultimately serve them better?
This exercise is in three folds:
- What is important to us
- What is most important to our web visitors
- How can we turn what is important to our visitors into our advantage
Step 1: Time for Record Keeping:
In order to get more results out of this technique, you need to know what pages are important to your business.
Depending on the nature of your business, it might be your landing pages or if you are an ecommerce website, it will be your checkout page.
Get an excel sheet and write down the most important pages on your website.
Step 2: GA to the Rescue:
This is where things get interesting.
- Login to your Google Analytics.
- Adjust the date to 3 months back. This will give you an overview over time rather than focusing on just a single month’s data.
3. Look at the pages that are getting the most traffic. ( Any shocking revelations)
4. Take note of this information
Step 3: Time to get busy
Now that you have these two sets of data, what should be done with them?
The first excel sheet contains pages that you think are important to your business. The second data contains pages your visitors visits the most.
For the second data set, you should be able to note some of the following
- Which pages are getting the most traffic?
- How important are these pages?
- What is the function of this page? Is it a blog post or a landing page?
- Do they have any role in the present conversion path?
- Can they be made to play a role?
Once you can establish what the importance of these pages are and how can they be made to play a role, it is now time to work to improve them.
Some of the things you can do are
- Write a better copy
- Improve the headline
- Repurpose the page to further fulfil its objective.
- Add a compelling images
- Link to it or from it
- Add a CTA or rewrite the old one.
One thing you should not do is “rewrite the title tag of the page” except where you are absolutely sure it makes better sense to do so.
Understanding your user is one of the keys to successfully marketing online and there are lots of tools that can help you do that. Luckily you have one great tool at your disposal- Google Analytic. Instead of focusing the latest advance technique, take a few minutes to look inward. You may just be in for a surprise.
PS: Increased ranking or traffic? Learn more.
Latest posts by Adegboye Adeniyi (see all)
- Crypto SEO – What You Need To Know About Crypto and BlockChain SEO - January 15, 2022
- SEO For Law Firms – Complete Guide to SEO for Lawyers - March 31, 2021
- Link Prospecting: A Guide to Beginners - March 28, 2021